The Salvation Army In the Midwest
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Unit Leader/Senior Counselor//Wonderland Camp/Wisconsin
at The Salvation Army In the Midwest
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Temporary Full-Time
DOING THE MOST GOOD
Do you want to use your skills and talents to make a lasting difference in the world? The Salvation Army is the fourth largest charity in the United States and is an international organization based on Biblical principles created to help people in need. We are mission-driven, diverse, collaborative, and focused on positive results for people. Join us in making a difference.
POSITION TITLE: Unit Leader/Senior Counselor
LOCATION/DEPT: Wonderland Camp and Conference Center
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director - Programs
FLSA CATEGORY: Exempt
STATUS TYPE: Temporary Full-Time
Unit Leaders are responsible for program and counseling leadership within their assigned unit of three to five counselors, assigned support staff, and approximately 18-45 campers. Leaders attend a leadership orientation session, assist in the general staff orientation, provide transportation leadership for campers on arrival and departure dates, give support and guidance for camper and staff discipline when needed.
The Unit Leaders helps coordinate evening programming with the Program Director. Leaders conduct assessment interviews with their staff, both at mid-season and end of season. They will encourage attendance at staff devotions and attend meetings as scheduled by the Program Director. Unit Leaders work with aquatics, nature, pioneer, crafts, ropes, archery, health services, and Program Director in guiding staff in complying with camp guidelines (curfews, procedures), goals, and objectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend program planning sessions and leadership training week.
- Provide leadership as Unit Leader to counselors, Assistant Counselors, and campers per session within own unit.
- Partake in nightly curfew checks and cabin lockdown.
- Assist with orientation of new staff members.
- Assist with coordination of daily programming, and worship services.
- Monitor daily time off for Counselors.
- Share in Counselor’s responsibilities for campers.
- Provide support and guidance for discipline of campers and counselors.
- Give supervision to counselors for cabin/property cleanliness and safety.
- Distribute evaluation forms to counselors for each camper and complete processing for submission to Program Director.
- Submit evaluation assessments from interviews with Unit Leaders, your unit Counselors, and Assistant Counselors.
- Attend to pre-camp preparation of Program: office, equipment, recreation areas, and lodgings.
- Maintain Program buildings and property; turn in work requests to Program Director.
- Assist with supervision of your assigned lodging, (lights out, doors locked, curfew compliance and camp guidelines).
- Assist in preparation and implementation of evening programs.
- Assist with camper check-in at bus sites and continue to monitor camper and staff health needs daily.
- Support by assisting in classes and camper interaction.
- Assist with transportation of campers/staff.
- Attend all staff meetings as called by the Program Director.
- Participate in and encourage attendance at staff devotions, outings, and worship services.
- Complete ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Standard First Aid*.
- Maintain a servant attitude; function as part of the ministry leadership team.
- Conduct evening staff devotions on a regular basis.
- Supervise staff lounge area for cleanliness and appropriate behavior.
- Provide assistance to counselors in evening cabin devotions.
- Complete accident reports for any accidents involving campers and staff.
- All other duties as assigned.
*Wonderland offers ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Standard First Aid certifications at camp.
- Minimum 1 year of college or equivalent.
- Minimum 1 year of previous experience as a camp counselor.
- Some supervisory experience.
- Minimum age of 21 preferred.
- Must be an individual of the Christian faith who has a strong personal relationship with the Lord, attends church on a regular basis, and a desire to lead others spiritually.
- In agreement with the philosophy, goals and objectives of The Salvation Army Wonderland Camp and Conference Center.
- A commitment to support and promote the mission of The Salvation Army and a passion for camp ministry.
- Able to relate God’s handiwork through various activities and in relationship with the Word of God in programming initiatives.
- Able to live on camp grounds throughout duration of employment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- An attention to detail.
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible in light of changing job situations/priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and be a self-starter.
- Knowledge and skills in archery concepts and principals (safety guidelines, skills and ability to instruct).
- Current ARC CPR for Professional Rescuer and Standard First Aid*.
- Some supervisory experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Must have good physical health and stamina and is required to do light to strenuous physical work.
- In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is regularly required to interact with and supervise staff and campers.
- Must frequently lift or move up to 50lbs.
- The work environment for this position includes an office and outdoor environment with a low to high noise level.