The Salvation Army In the Midwest
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lifeguard/Senior Counselor//Wonderland Camp/Wisconsin
at The Salvation Army In the Midwest
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Temporary Full-Time
DOING THE MOST GOOD
Do you want to use your skills and talents to make a lasting difference in the world? The Salvation Army is the fourth largest charity in the United States and is an international organization based on Biblical principles created to help people in need. We are mission-driven, diverse, collaborative, and focused on positive results for people. Join us in making a difference.
POSITION TITLE: Lifeguard/Senior Counselor
LOCATION/DEPT: Wonderland Camp and Conference Center
REPORTS TO: Aquatics Manager
Assistant Director - Programs
FLSA CATEGORY: Exempt
STATUS TYPE: Temporary Full-Time
The Lifeguard is to provide professional safety to all aspects of the Wonderland Camp Aquatic program. Also provides support to other programs of summer as needed. Will provide an aquatic experience for campers with a Christian message.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Participate in aquatic and general staff training weeks.
- Assist with aquatic orientation during general staff training. Work with the Aquatics Manager in planning this orientation.
- Assist in supervision and instruction of all aquatic activities: swimming, diving, boating and water safety. Set example for guests.
- Participate in the total camp program: be involved with assigned cabin and unit and assume other duties as requested by Program Manager if weather/circumstances prevent ongoing aquatic activities.
- Maintain daily general cleanliness/repair or pool, pool building and pool equipment. Contact Maintenance Department for mechanical problems.
- Maintain daily general cleanliness/repair of boathouse, boat room, docks, beach, pontoon boat, canoes, rowboats, speed boats, fun bugs, funyaks, oars, paddles and related lake front equipment/area.
- Complete work scheduled for all aquatic personnel in a timely fashion.
- Help plan water carnivals and inclement weather classes (work with unit directors).
- Participate in daily/weekly exercise and in-service training of lifeguards.
- Work cooperatively with Aquatics Manager and Camp Leadership to facilitate programming requirements/ requests for all groups. This will include swim lessons, carnivals, basic water safety for staff/campers.
- Assist cabin Counselor in lodging to which you have been assigned.
- Participate with program assessments during the summer, and turn in keys upon departure.
- Participate in Wonderland’s aquatic training session per contracted dates/availability.
- Participate in and encourage attendance at staff devotions, outings and worship services.
- Maintain a sense of professionalism in aquatic areas: self control, service positive attitude, work ethic and sense of ministry.
- Maintain a servant attitude; function as part of the ministry leadership team.
- All other duties as assigned.
*Wonderland offers ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Standard First Aid certifications at camp.
- Minimum 1 year of college or equivalent.
- Must have experience as a lifeguard or similar position.
- Minimum age of 16 preferred.
- Must be an individual of the Christian faith who has a strong personal relationship with the Lord, attends church on a regular basis, and a desire to lead others spiritually.
- In agreement with the philosophy, goals and objectives of The Salvation Army Wonderland Camp and Conference Center.
- A commitment to support and promote the mission of The Salvation Army and a passion for camp ministry.
- Able to relate God’s handiwork through aquatic activities and in relationship with the Word of God in programming initiatives.
- Able to live on camp grounds throughout duration of employment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- An attention to detail
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible in light of changing job situations/priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and be a self-starter.
- Knowledge of basic swimming techniques, boating and boat motor operation.
- Knowledge of pool and spa operation and chemical testing.
- Current ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer, and Standard First Aid.
- Current Water Safety Instruction Certificate preferred and Lifeguard training.
- Some supervisory experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- This position is required to do light to heavy physical work.
- In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is regularly required to use pool or water equipment.
- The work environment for this position includes an office and outdoor/pool environment with a low to high noise level.