The Salvation Army In the Midwest
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Assistant Counselor/Wonderland Camp/Wisconsin
at The Salvation Army In the Midwest
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Temporary Full-Time
DOING THE MOST GOOD
Do you want to use your skills and talents to make a lasting difference in the world? The Salvation Army is the fourth largest charity in the United States and is an international organization based on Biblical principles created to help people in need. We are mission-driven, diverse, collaborative, and focused on positive results for people. Join us in making a difference.
POSITION TITLE: Assistant Counselor
LOCATION/DEPT: Wonderland Camp and Conference Center
REPORTS TO: Assigned Counselor
FLSA CATEGORY: Exempt
STATUS TYPE: Temporary Full-Time
Assistant Counselors are to assist the Counselor with the cabin. They are charged with being a positive Christian influence for each of their 8-12 campers. Responsibilities include developing the camper’s social, physical, intellectual, vocational, emotional and spiritual strengths, through group living experiences and personal interest.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Attend general staff training week and read all materials mailed prior to training week.
- Under Counselor supervision assist with leading an assigned group of campers in daily activities, which include but are not limited to:
- Daily devotions related to the years’ theme.
- Instruction/guidance in cabin cleanliness and care of property.
- Instruction/guidance on personal hygiene.
- Instruction/guidance on table manners and conduct in dining hall.
- Practical motivation in environmental awareness and responsibility.
- Involvement in physical development and recreational activities.
- Aquatic related activities.
- Overnight camp-outs and other pioneering activities.
- Arts and crafts skill development.
- Be present with and give guidance to campers while on duty.
- Give support by your actions to the program concepts of love, understanding and self worth of each person.
- Inspect and ensure that assigned cabin is clean, safe and in good repair. Complete maintenance requests and return to the Program Manager.
- Help protect the personal belongings of each camper from damage/theft.
- Chaperone campers around camp always thinking of safety and guidance.
- Complete American Camping Association/Title XX camper evaluations and Wonderland Camp camper evaluations.
- See that the resident nurse cares for the health needs of each camper.
- Maintain cabin first aid kit (seek replenishment from resident nurse).
- Attend health orientation during general staff training and care for minor camper injuries as designated by the resident nurse.
- Assist in camper classes and encourage participation.
- Assist Unit Leader as assigned.
- Support and be involved with camper chapels, staff devotions and staff meetings.
- Maintain a servant attitude; function as part of a team.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Involvement with Corps or church youth group.
- Should have some experience working with children.
- Should have experience working with minority, low income and at-risk groups.
- Minimum age of 16.
- Must be an individual of the Christian faith who has a strong personal relationship with the Lord, attends church on a regular basis, and a desire to lead others spiritually.
- Able to relate God’s handiwork through various activities and in relationship with the Word of God in programming initiatives.
- Should be interested in God’s creation, nature and outdoor activities.
- Current ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer, and Standard First Aid*.
- Able to live on camp grounds throughout duration of employment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and be a self-starter.
- An attention to detail.
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible in light of changing job situations/priorities.
- In agreement with the philosophy, goals and objectives of The Salvation Army Wonderland Camp and Conference Center.
- A commitment to support and promote the mission of The Salvation Army.
*Wonderland offers ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Standard First Aid certifications at camp.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- This position is required to do light to heavy physical work.
- In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is regularly required to work with children with diverse backgrounds.
- The work environment for this position includes an office and outdoor environment with a low to high noise level.