The Salvation Army In the Midwest
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Adventure Manager/Senior Counselor//Wonderland Camp/Wisconsin
at The Salvation Army In the Midwest
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Temporary Full-Time
DOING THE MOST GOOD
Do you want to use your skills and talents to make a lasting difference in the world? The Salvation Army is the fourth largest charity in the United States and is an international organization based on Biblical principles created to help people in need. We are mission-driven, diverse, collaborative, and focused on positive results for people. Join us in making a difference.
POSITION TITLE: Adventure Manager/Senior Counselor
LOCATION/DEPT: Wonderland Camp and Conference Center
REPORTS TO: Assistant Director - Programs
FLSA CATEGORY: Exempt
STATUS TYPE: Temporary Full-Time
The Adventure Manager will provide professional and safety oriented instruction and lead facilitation of the Adventure Program. Working with their Assistants, the employee will provide an unforgettable experience for the participant. The Manager is also responsible for providing an outdoor Living team building experience with a Christian message.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct adventure program orientation during general staff training. Work with Camp Leadership in planning this orientation.
- Assume responsibility for supervision and instruction or program skill area skills.
- Coordinate program with Adventure Program Assistant to develop relational goals and objectives .
- Work cooperatively with Unit Leaders, Counselors and Assistants in implementing the Adventure Program with a focus on team building.
- Prepare lesson plans and delegate responsibility to counselors taking part in adventure Program activities.
- Maintain program area daily (ropes, harnesses, helmets, nuts, bolts, cables, fasteners, tensioners, trails and storage area) for cleanliness, care, organization and safety.
- Attend to pre-camp preparation of all equipment and materials for the adventure program.
- Prepare and inventory prior to storage of all equipment and materials. Submit a list of purchase needs for the forth-coming summer.
- Obtain approval for all program purchases.
- Plan rainy day activities for your program area.
- Assist in preparation and implementation of evening programs.
- Assist with maintaining assigned lodging (lights out, doors locked, curfew compliance, cleaning schedule, camp guidelines and prayer time.
- Complete accident reports for any accidents involving campers and staff.
- Complete Daily Usage Logs for all adventure program aspects as required by ACA.
- Assist with camper check-in and continue to monitor camper and staff needs daily.
- Instruct and lead camper activities.
- Participate in leadership training week
- Maintain program buildings and property; turn in maintenance requests to Program Manager.
- Assist with transportation of campers and staff.
- Maintain a sense of professionalism in nature areas: self control, service positive attitude, work ethic and sense of ministry.
- Complete ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Standard First Aid*.
- Maintain a servant attitude; function as part of the ministry leadership team.
- Provide efficient service to all customers with a cheerful attitude.
- Help prepare and distribute staff evening snacks.
- Participate in and encourage attendance at staff devotions, outings and worship services.
- All other duties as assigned.
*Wonderland offers ARC CPR for the Professional Rescuer and Standard First Aid certifications at camp.
- Minimum 1 year of college or equivalent.
- Must have at least 1 year of experience as a camp counselor.
- Minimum age of 21 preferred.
- Must be an individual of the Christian faith who has a strong personal relationship with the Lord, attends church on a regular basis, and a desire to lead others spiritually.
- In agreement with the philosophy, goals and objectives of The Salvation Army Wonderland Camp and Conference Center.
- A commitment to support and promote the mission of The Salvation Army and a passion for camp ministry.
- Able to relate God’s handiwork through adventure activities and in relationship with the Word of God in programming initiatives.
- Able to live on camp grounds throughout duration of employment.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- An attention to detail.
- A positive attitude and the ability to be flexible in light of changing job situations/priorities.\
- Demonstrated ability to use initiative and be a self-starter.
- Knowledge and skills in high ropes course, challenge course, climbing tower concepts, zip line, giant swing and principals (safety guidelines, skills and ability to instruct).
- Current ARC CPR for Professional Rescuer and Standard First Aid*.
- Some supervisory experience.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- This position is required to do light to heavy physical work.
- In order to successfully perform the essential functions of this position, the employee is regularly required to use ropes or challenge course equipment.
- The work environment for this position includes an office and outdoor environment with a low to high noise level.