Smithfield Foods, inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Plant Engineer, Assistant
at Smithfield Foods, inc.
- Job Locations
- FLSA Status
- 1st Shift
Smithfield Foods is a $15 billion global food company and the world's largest pork processor and hog producer. In the United States, the company is also the leader in numerous packaged meats categories with popular brands including Smithfield, Eckrich ®, Nathan's Famous ®, Farmland ®, Armour ®, Farmer John ®, Kretschmar ®, John Morrell ®, Cook's ®, Gwaltney ®, Carando ®, Margherita ®, Curly's ®, Healthy Ones ®, Morliny ®, Krakus ® and Berlinki ®. Smithfield Foods is committed to providing good food in a responsible way and maintains robust animal care, community involvement, employee safety, environmental and food safety and quality programs.
Under the direction of the Plant Engineer, the Assistant Plant Engineer is responsible for managing the activities of the maintenance department of a plant to keep building and equipment in proper state of repair, in order to reduce mechanical downtime and keep product flow and production lines running at maximum efficiency. Responsible for the development and implementation of maintenance systems associated with High Performing Manufacturing Organizations (Preventative/ Predictive Maintenance, TPM, etc.).
- Lead the Maintenance Department effort in the development and implementation of maintenance systems associated with High Performing Manufacturing Organizations (Preventive/Predictive Maintenance, TPM, etc.).
- Ensure proper scheduling of resources to maximize amount of work completed while minimizing plant downtime. Additionally, these systems will provide maximum plant capacity, while minimizing cost. The result is reduced unscheduled downtime, creating higher plant efficiency.
Maintenance Staff and Safety
- Manage the maintenance staff through delegation, policy and procedure administration, assignment of work responsibilities, planning, organizing, directing and follow-up of the work assignment.
- Champion plant safety efforts within the department through administration and enforcement of company and plant policies/procedures. Facilitate employee training.
- Participate in and drive long-term solution development. Under the direction of the Plant Engineer, deliver day-to-day support to all operating teams having issues with troubleshooting, problem analysis, equipment failures, etc.
- Ensure the smooth daily operation of the plant with minimal repetitive issues in a positive work environment.
- Capital project development and post-approval management.
- Assist Plant Enigneer in management and scheduling of project elements to ensure minimal interruption to plant operations.
- Delivers finished projects as designed, on time and on budget with no safety, food safety or environmental issues.
Key Performance Indicators
- Develops and/or maintains Key Performance Indicators with the Plant Engineer for tracking and reporting the performance of the maintenance function (supplier performance, equipment reliability, overall equipment effectiveness, etc.).
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. May perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited college or university and 5+ years of related experience in a manufacturing environment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience, required.
- Bachelor's degree, preferred.
- Minimum of 3+ years experience in a position of leadership to include team development and management, required.
- Possess thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and CMMS systems.
- Possess advanced technical skills in the mechanical and/or electrical fields (e.g. PLCs, instrumentation, mechanical systems, etc).
- Must be able to lead resource planning and management efforts in a large manufacturing environment.
- Thorough knowledge of maintenance systems, work order process, preventive/predictive maintenance, TPM, etc.
- Ability to use exposure monitoring equipment, interpret and communicate results.
- Ability to work well with others in fast paced, dynamic environment.
- Ability to be respectful, approachable and team oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
- Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and oral formats.
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal, technical and presentation skills required.
- May be required to work long hours and weekends.
- Provides leadership and guidance to employees in the Maintenance Department.
- Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws.
- Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and assisting in providing appropriate resolutions.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those an employee should possess to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision includes close vision, distance vision, and ability to adjust focus.
- Frequently required to stand; walk; use hands to handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office and plant setting. The plant environment will include wet or humid conditions (non-weather related), extreme cold and heat (non-weather related), working near moving mechanical parts, exposure to fumes or airborne particles, and chemicals.
- Noise level in the work environment is usually moderate but can be loud when in the production area.
Smithfield, is an equal opportunity employer committed to workplace diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, gender identity, protected veterans status or status as a disabled individual or any other protected group status or non-job related characteristic as directed by law.