Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Summary: R&D director role requires expert level of technical knowledge with strong track record of innovation, commercialization in broad ranges of coating product and process development, application and formulation science and manufacturing practices. The candidate must also possess strong and demonstrated competencies and experiences in project and platform management, people and organizational leadership.
- Expertise in broad ranges of coating chemistries particularly 1K and 2K acrylic, epoxy, urethane chemistries. Strong track record and technical leadership on waterborne and high performance epoxy and urethane coatings are preferred.
- Expertise in application and formulation science for various coating systems of primer, basecoat, topcoat systems along with expert understanding of DIY, Contractor, and OEM Coatings.
- Strong command on structure-property relationship and material science
- Action Oriented - ability to make strategic decisions (technical and staff utilization) and influence leaders and scientist to execute those initiative while managing business strategy and value creation
- Demonstrated skillset and track record in creating an environment to scout new ideas and innovation.
- Continuous learning and intimate awareness of open literature and competitive landscape
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute project plan - time management, prioritization, managing the projects and R&D projects/teams and measuring progress.
- Excellent effectiveness to allocate resources towards initiatives by working with cross-functional leadership.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate with project stakeholders and cross-functional teams, leadership and external scientific community.
- Ability to lead and interact with cross-functional teams in a matrixed organization
- Outstanding personal and interpersonal skills – listening, compassion, motivating, inspiring, humor, patience, understanding diversity, negotiating etc.
- Energetic, Driving and Inspiring
- Action oriented, perseverance and results driven
- Demonstrates Courage
- Leadership (technical & managerial) command skills, conflict management
- Continuous learning/growth and mentorship and teaching skills
- Ability to work and thrive in cross-functional environment.
- Agility to respond emerging business needs - strong change of management skills
- Managing high stakes and challenging situation with all levels of organizations
- Using, assessing the organizational processes and developing new processes to improve efficiency and quality
- Demonstrate strong career ambition – potential to become top leade
- Masters or Ph.D. degree in Chemistry, Polymer Science/Engineering, or a comparable scientific-technical field. Ph.D. preferred.
- 10 years of experience in the paints, coatings, or related industry.
- Scientific and managerial leadership in scale-up and commercialization of new chemical and process technology.
- Detailed involvement in strategy, development, data collection, and filing of intellectual property.
- Experience in pilots/launch of new products, product testing, and basic research.
- Budgetary responsibility (planning and implementation) for all technical operations.
- Cross-business interaction and communication skills at all levels of management and operations.
- Experience working with engineering and manufacturing personnel.
- Supervision of multiple, external technical resources, including contract labs, consultants, and academic collaborations.
- Trained and experienced in scientific project planning, milestone setting, and employee performance rating.
- Broad and deep understanding of the consumer and industrial maintenance coatings market, including the following:
- Current suppliers, coatings customers, and end-users
- Superior knowledge of industry test methods and their significance
- Understanding of competitive capabilities
- Proven track record generating new knowledge, products, or procedures, to meet the business needs of Rust-Oleum Corporation.
- Proven ability to use fundamental polymer properties to predict end-use performance.
- Demonstrated use of Design of Experiments.
- Proven ability to work effectively on cross-functional project teams.