Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
R&D Chemist-Plant Support
Summary: The R&D Chemist for Plant Support (Specialty Products) is primarily responsible for activities related to transition of specialty chemical products from the laboratory to the manufacturing environment and working closely with R&D development team. In this role, significant time will be spent in hands-on laboratory work evaluating how to successfully manufacture new formulas and then supporting manufacturing operations to take new products to market. Additionally this position is responsible for process improvement that reduces variability, complexity, time or cost in the manufacture of specialty chemicals. Much of the scale up work will be done at toll manufacturing locations. Testing of products, documenting test data, as well as generating and communicating test reports are key functions for this role.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Develops optimum phasing for production of new specialty chemicals for production at multiple facilities. Products included will be cleaners, stain removers, drain openers and Craft and Hobby coatings.
- Provides technical assistance for nonconforming batches during the production cycle
- Works with R&D and manufacturing to reduce cycle time on current products
- Expands personal knowledge base in equipment and materials used in the production of specialty chemicals.
- Develops reports and documents detailing project processes, results, and conclusions; recommends additional actions or research.
- Adheres to safety, quality and housekeeping policies/guidelines.
- Completes assigned work and issues reports within agreed-to time frames.
- B.S. in Chemistry, Chemical Engineering, Materials Science discipline.
- Must be able to travel as needed to support product testing, production support and launch – up to 25%
- Demonstrated team leadership, initiative, and creative problem solving skills
- Must be able to simultaneously manage multiple projects of varying complexity.
- Knowledge of design of experiments and the scientific process.
- People skills for customer interactions.
- Candidate must have outstanding written and oral communication skills, and proficiency with MS Office, specifically MS Excel.
- Highly motivated and a self-starter.
- Detail oriented and highly organized.
- Must be capable of independent work but also able to work with multi-functional teams.
- The ideal candidate will have one (1) to three (3) years of experience in cleaners or other specialty chemicals.
- Experience in process engineering in an industrial environment.
- Must have experience with data documentation and analysis using Excel or similar programs.
- Be knowledgeable and experienced in the scientific process and chemistry; as well as well organized, capable of managing 2-3 projects at a time and be able to communicate effectively in written and verbal formats.
- Must understand how to translate product requirements defined by R&D to technical terms related to manufacturing of chemical specialties.