Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lead Counselor- AmeriCorps
at Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee
Lead Counselors are team leaders who help focus the direction of others in their village, as well as lending additional support to cabin counselors. When not lending a helping hand, the lead counselor will assume a cabin counselor role, in which they are responsible for planning, teaching, coordinating, and carrying out activities and guiding campers in their personal growth and daily living skills. The Lead Counselor may live in the cabin with the campers for the duration of their stay at camp.
AmeriCorps members agree to complete a term of National Service; as they support Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee programming and receive a set living allowance. Upon successful Completion of this term of service, AmeriCorps members are eligible for a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award.
- Provide day-to-day guidance and support to cabin counselors. Assist in the management and care of the physical facilities and equipment in main camp.
- Provide support and leadership to develop and deliver resident camp programming that is appropriate for the age and ability of the campers and utilize the camp’s resources.
- Design and implement camp wide games, ensure appropriateness of camper led skits, and ensure all camp activities, such as meal times, stay to schedule.
- Assist cabin counselors in managing and deescalating minor behaviors they are unable to manage alone.
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their living unit, within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes.
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, and respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth.
- Ensure campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Participate in the development and implementation of program activities for campers within the mission and outcomes.
- Lead and assist with the teaching of activities.
- Actively participate in all program areas as assigned.
- Provide for the progression of activities within the framework of individual and group interests and abilities.
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and adults.
- Provide the daily care of each camper within your supervision including recognition of personal health needs.
- Be alert to campers and staff needs and assist them with personal and/or health problems and discuss with Camp Health Coordinator and/or Resident Camp Director when appropriate.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to Camp Director.
- Be a role model to campers and adults in attitude and behavior.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures.
- Set a good example to campers and others in regard to general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.
- Contribute to verbal and written evaluations and communication as requested.
- Participate enthusiastically in all camp activities, planning, and leading those as assigned.
- Participate as a member of the camp adult team to deliver and supervise evening programs, special events, overnights, and other all-camp activities and camp functions.
- Serve as a bus captain to help supervise youth traveling to and from camp.
- Assist in program areas such as waterfront, nature, all camp activities, and arts and crafts as directed.
- Ensure that campers receive their medications as directed by Health Coordinator