Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Community Outreach Coordinator - African American Focus
at Alzheimer's Association
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2962
At the Alzheimer's Association we are the brains behind saving yours. Many of us who work for the Alzheimer's Association have some connection with Alzheimer's disease or another form of dementia. It's what drives us to make the extra effort in the daunting task of modifying a disease that currently has no cure. With 78 million baby boomers entering the age of greatest risk for Alzheimer's, we need passionate, hardworking people committed to helping the Association meet the increasing demand for care and support and fund vital Alzheimer's research.
Why join us? We have been recognized as a Best Nonprofit to Work For by the Nonprofit Times seven consecutive years.
The Alzheimer's Association, Southeastern Wisconsin Chapter provides a variety of education, information and support services to persons with dementia, their families, health care professionals, and the community. The Community Outreach Coordinator is primarily responsible for coordinating the chapter’s strategy for reaching and serving the underserved communities, with an emphasis on African Americans. In addition, the Community Outreach Coordinator is also responsible for helping to recruit and train volunteers that would deliver the education programs, support groups and social engagement programs throughout the community, as well as creating relationships with physicians and local health care systems to increase access to a timely diagnosis and quality care.
Essential Job Functions:
Advancing Care and Support
- Identify and create relationships with physicians and local health systems to increase access to a timely diagnosis and quality care.
- Assist in recruiting, training, and retaining program volunteer’s to provide education programs, caregiver support groups and social engagement programs.
- Create and execute a strategy for reaching and serving diverse communities.
- Conduct timely and effective promotion and outreach on behalf of the organization, with a focus on increasing awareness of and promoting care and support programs.
- Identify and meet the needs of diverse communities and populations.
- Increase and coordinate development and implementation of services to diverse communities and populations in the region.
- Conduct outreach and education with physicians and other healthcare providers.
- Represent the chapter at appropriate and assigned meetings and events.
- Remains knowledgeable and current on information related to Alzheimer’s and related dementias as well as national, state, and local initiatives that affect the targeted population.
- Bachelor’s degree in social service or healthcare education field and at least two years of professional experience
- Excellent presentation and communication skills both written and oral
- Excellent organization and time management skills; ability to multi-task
- Ability to work well with other staff, volunteers and clients
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Good interpersonal skills
- Demonstrate computer skills including Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to move boxes and supplies up to 50 lbs.
- Working knowledge of Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias and community resources related to aging services
- Experience in program planning and implementation
- Experience in outreach to the African American community
- Public speaking experience
Please click on the link below to apply for this position. A new window will open and direct you to apply at our corporate careers page. We look forward to hearing from you!